V&A


Got to the Victoria&Albert museum in London last weekend to see the Quilts 1700 - 2010 exhibit.
As a "contemporary quilter I thought it would be the more modern quilts that would hold my attention. How wrong can you  be. I was blown away by the traditional quilts, by the workmanship and design and by the amazing choice of fabric they had access to as far back as the 1700's. The other thing that struck me was how much we do now that we think is modern was being done hundreds of years ago.
I haven't decided if I am comforted or a bit depressed by this fact. It is comforting to be part of this long line of women who are expressing themselves now in the same way as those who came before were and that is the thought I am going to hold as I strive to do something "different".
No photos allowed of course but I did treat myself in the gift shop.
It was a family day out so we also went here,
Prince Albert Memorial, and here
Royal Albert Hall, and here,
The British Museum.
So much to see!

Comments

  1. Its a great exhibition, I was glad I managed to see it. It is really interesting to see how people have felt about the old and new quilts. It would be great to think of one of mine being so treasured. Also that other people never finish them aswell!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It good to be carring on tradition even if in v. different forms. By the way I am 'impressed' that you managed to impress your son, something I have rarely achieved.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I do try to respond to each one but
if you do not hear from me it is probably because you are a "no reply blogger".

Popular Posts